We are members of Lighthouse Christian Church in Bellevue, Washington.
Our mission is to share God's grace and truth so that people come to know, love and share Jesus Christ.
While in Japan we will be helping run the VBS programs at Tokorozawa Megumi Church and Nokendai Bible Fellowship
.

Ev, Tom, Randy, Tim, David, Kelly, Sharon
Al, Karen, Lucy
Katherine, Garrett, Austin

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Thoughts of Japan...

July 31, 2010
Geeze… I feel at a loss for words to properly describe my time here. It’s been a few short days, and I’ve been through a number of trains of thoughts, all in pretty different directions. The first is that the Japanese kids here are soooooooooooooooo cute! The way they’ve opened up in the short time we’ve been here… their crazy cheesey grins and devious fake whistling as they greet us is always one of the best parts of my day. Whether it’s been watching them copy the song motions or picking them up and spinning them around… I can’t help but fall in love with the people (especially kids) of Japan every time I come here. In that line of thought it has been very easy to fall into the trap of thinking everything is great and peachy… I’m just here on vacation, having fun playing with little kids and working on my Japanese… but God has faithfully and patiently been reminding me of how spiritually dry this country is. As mentioned by other bloggers, on day 2 of the TMK VBS one of the mothers called around starting a panic of catching a fever from the rain, which consequently drew kids away from PE in the park for that day. Something that I and many others on the team attribute to Satan trying to hinder God’s work through us here. In putting those two lines of thought together, my heart breaks. These people who are so wonderful and serving… kids who are so cute, energetic, and… well… pure the way only children are… but them being here in this country where Satan’s hold is so strong… It all feels so overwhelming; like there’s nothing I can do to change a WHOLE country… but God being God… has lovingly reminded me of a very important fact. He is an all powerful God who is much bigger than any hold Satan can ever place. Which is my third major line of thought that I’ve been through: Hope. The hope that only God brings… in giving His son to die on the cross for our sins. Something which I take for granted so much when it comes to thinking of myself, but also something that has given me the extra push in the morning to get up and go see the kids… to share God’s love with them that they might know the same hope I have for them… I’m really not sure where I’m at right now… I guess I’m kind of tired and just not sure what to think… soo…. Prayer for the people of Japan and for our time here to be used by God and not hindered by Satan would be awesome!

Hmm… I guess I might go over the stuff that’s been happening… VBS has been good. Like. Reallllllllllllly good. It surprises me (in a good way) to see so many of the kids eager to sing songs, memorize verses, and just be kids…hanging out with the missionary families has been a huge blessing… whether it’s having good laughs and fun or drawing on the experience and wisdom of those who have served here…my confidence in trying to speak Japanese has slowly been improving… the kids actually understand the instructions I’m trying to give on how to do the crafts and such… ughh. I’m starting to space out… so if anything else comes back to my mind of stuff that’s been going on I’ll add it later… pictures too!!! Ughh. I said that last time ><… well. Okay. I won’t promise it’ll be next time, but I’ll definitely try to post more soon haha… ><…

3 comments:

  1. Tim, thanks for your insights and encouragement. We have been reading your team's blogs everyday so we can better pray for you all. We'll continue to pray that God will use you and the team to lessen Satan's hold on the Japanese people as you serve there. We'll see you and your mom in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, thanks for blogging your honest thoughts about Japanese people.I'm from Tokyo and I visited my family last month for two weeks in Tokyo.

    It sounds really hot there!
    In Saitama,forty people died of heat stroke between July 18th and July 25th. they were mostly elderly people though. An increasing number of heat strokes have been reported due to the extremely hot weather in Japan. According to statistics, 1,464 people got heat stroke in Tokyo last month, that's about four times more than last year.

    I assume that many mothers are under the stress hearing those. Don't worry too much about the mom who was concerned for her kids. Playing in the rain will not be so bad.( How can I say that? I was exactly like her. I always worried about my little girl so badly when I lived there.hahaha..) Actually a lot of stay-at-home people get sick during a heat wave. I agree that Satan loves the worries of the mom. please remember that Japanese moms may wear nice clothes but insecurity and shame may block them from love and peace!

    Don't forget to enjoy Japanese food ( I guess I don't have to mention it!)and adequate hydration.
    I will keep praying for the Japan team too!

    Blessings,
    Yumi Katsube

    ReplyDelete
  3. may God continue to fill and move each team member as you serve, tim. God is pleased that you are giving of yourself in this way. hear the voice of the Spirit..."here is the path...walk ye in it!" He is smiling down at you!
    ~celia

    ReplyDelete